We’re taking the next step in wastewater treatment processing and have recently finished the commission of a new ultra-filtration & reverse osmosis system (UF-RO).
The system further treats the wastewater created during the brewing process, stripping everything out, to create clean and useable reclaimed water. 100% of the reclaimed water will be used for utilities (boilers, refrigeration etc.) and to wash-down the brewery.
We’re excited to continue implementing innovative technologies and processes to help reduce our brewery’s footprint on the environment. Whilst the reclaimed water is actually at drinking quality, we won’t be using this to brew with…
We currently treat all of our wastewater on site, however, with the instalment of the UF-RO, our upstream water supply consumption will be reduced by 15% and downstream, the amount of wastewater going into local council sewer network will also decrease.
Creating useable water from our waste stream, we’re also decreasing the total amount of water used at the brewery.
The installation of the UFRO forms part of our broader Green Feet strategy, which focuses on water, energy and waste impact, ensuring we are prioritising not just what we do, but how we do it.
Some of our other enviro initiatives include:
- 95% of all solid waste is re-used or recycled. This includes grain as well as pack materials (glass, cardboard, plastic).
- The implementation of #forcupssake, a re-usable cup exchange to stop single use cups being used at events and thrown in the trash
- Boiler upgrades in conjunction with a NSW Govt. grant, reducing energy consumption by 20%
- The installation of 480 solar panels at the Murwillumbah site - providing up to 10% of the site's electricity use
- The installation of an ammonia refrigeration system reducing electricity consumption by 6%