We're the only planet with beer...
The ritual of coming together and sharing a few brews is grounded in our world’s history and we see our beers as a tribute to this amazing planet.
While we only ever use four ingredients to brew our beers, many other resources play their part in delivering beer to our drinkers. Energy, glass, cardboard and fuel are a few examples of the other things that come from environments to support the journey from grain to glass.
Our Green Feet Program
We acknowledge the reliance we have on our Earth to enable us to produce good beer so it is our responsibility to tread a path towards sustainability through our Green Feet program. Green Feet is a company wide program we’ve been working on for a couple of years now. It’s about minimising our footprint on the Earth through striving to not only reduce, reuse and recycle but also exploring innovative practices by reimagining the ecology of brewing.
What we're doing...
- The installation of 480 solar panels at our Murwillumbah site. Our reduction in grid based electricity is the equivalent to the electricity used to power 20-25 homes.
- The installation of LED lighting in workspaces. Lighting now uses a quarter of the energy, equivalent to taking 7 cars off the road.
- The installation of a baling unit which compresses cardboard and plastic waste from the packaging line into 75kg bales to be recycled.
- Our water to beer ratio (water: beer) is fantastic. Whilst the industry average is 5:1 our ratio is 3:1 (it takes 3L of water to produce every 1L of S&W beer.). This can be attributed to not only our beer being handcrafted but we also maintain our brewery and packaging line by hand, ensuring we have control over the amount of water we use.
- Our water to beer is soon to become even better since we are poised to install infrastructure to harvest the water used to rinse bottles before filling. This rinse water will be collected into tanks for cleaning and watering our garden.